Our History

Serving the Community for over 150 Years

1850   The Young Men’s Club formed and it eventually evolved into the YMCA of Saratoga.
1866   YMCA of Saratoga incorporated on June 10th
1875   On August 1st, a weekend-long celebration was held to commemorate the anniversary of the YMCA in Saratoga. Henry Wilson, Vice President of the United States, was a keynote speaker.
1887   On June 26th, Lee Starke of Atlanta, Georgia re-established the YMCA of Saratoga.
1899   On May 9th, the articles of Incorporation for the YMCA of Saratoga were executed and filed.
1901   On November 3rd, the first YMCA of Saratoga building was dedicated on Broadway. The building still stands today at 439 Broadway.
1926   YMCA establishes the first Race Track YMCA in order to minister to men and boys associated with the Saratoga Race Track.
1939   YMCA of Saratoga closed its doors due to lack of funds. The Board continued to meet.
1957   Dr. Frederick J. Resseguie bequeathed 509 Broadway to the YMCA of Saratoga, thus providing a new life to the YMCA of Saratoga. The newly reactivated organization quickly became part of the community.
1965   Membership increased to 1,000 people and necessitated relocation to larger quarters. YMCA of Saratoga bought Hawley Foundation property in response to the needs of its growing membership base.
1971   On December 5th, the new Broadway Branch was dedicated in Saratoga Springs.
1982   The YMCA of Saratoga entered the childcare business with the establishment of a full-day childcare center on the mostly vacant 2nd floor of the downtown facility.
1984   YMCA of Saratoga purchased the Saratoga Racquet Club in Wilton, at 20 Old Gick Road, to provide indoor tennis and expanded facilities to accommodate growing membership and program participation.
1995   YMCA of Saratoga opened Malta Childcare Center which provides care for infants and children through the age of 5 years.
1996   YMCA of Saratoga presented the 1st Annual First Night Celebration in Saratoga Springs on December 31st.
2000   YMCA of Saratoga purchased community building in Corinth and opens new branch.
2004   YMCA of Saratoga opened satellite fitness center in Malta near the childcare center.
2005   YMCA of Saratoga embarked on $10 million campaign for state of the art facility at West Avenue.
2007   The new Saratoga Springs facility opened to the YMCA of Saratoga membership on February 19th.
2010   The Malta Fitness Center leased an additional 3600 sq ft to accommodate additional membership. With our continuing growth, the YMCA of Saratoga petitioned YMCA of the USA to change our name to the Saratoga Regional YMCA. Ground was broken on renovations for a new branch facility in Greenwich.
2011   In mid-January, the Battenkill Branch opened to service membership in Cambridge, Greenwich, and Schuylerville.
2011   In December, a 30,000 square foot addition with 4 air-conditioned tennis courts was completed and opened for use at the Wilton Branch.
2012   A 35,000 square foot, two-story addition was unveiled on December 1st, 2012. This was Phase 2 of the Wilton Branch Expansion.
2014   The Wilton Branch continued its growth and added an Athletic Training Center as well as an 11,000 sq. ft. Field House.
2015   Plans for Saratoga Springs Branch expansion, ‘The Outdoor Center’, were approved.
2016   The Saratoga Regional YMCA celebrated 150 years! Construction for the Outdoor Center Expansion began.
2017   The Saratoga Branch opened its new Outdoor Center, which included an outdoor pavilion, archery range, and ropes course. Construction started on a new building for the Malta Branch.
2018   In September, the Saratoga Regional YMCA officially opened its new Malta Branch located at 10 Medical Park Drive, Malta, NY. The new Y is approximately 35,000 sq. ft. of a 55,000 sq. ft. shared facility with Saratoga Hospital and includes an Early Learning & School Age Child Care Center as well as a Healthy Living Center.